Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do with empty chemical containers?
A container is considered empty and not a RCRA hazardous waste if you can pour or scrape out contents by conventional methods, unless it has contained a highly toxic
P listed
chemical. Containers with P listed residues must be labeled with a hazardous waste label reading "Container contaminated with ______" (state name of highly toxic residue) and submit a waste pick up request. Non-p-listed chemical containers may be reused for collecting a waste that is compatible with the original contents or if it has not contained a p listed chemical. If the empty container cannot be reused mark the container with the words "EMPTY" and remove or mark out any hazardous symbols then place in the solid waste receptacles. Containers include plastic or glass bottles, pipette tips, microfuge tubes, and other items used to transfer chemicals.
What do I do with broken glassware?
Broken glassware that has not contained P listed chemicals should be placed in a separate outer container (e.g. cardboard box or plastic pail) and labeled as "Non-hazardous waste containing (broken) glass" and placed with your regular trash. If it has been contaminated with one of the P listed chemicals, attach a hazardous waste label reading "Labware (or glassware) contaminated with ______" (state name of highly toxic residue) and submit a hazardous waste request.

What do I do with Chemically Contaminated Debris?
Chemically contaminated lab debris (gloves, paper towels, wipes, absorbent paper, gels) must be evaluated for proper disposal. In general, lab debris that is not grossly contaminated may be disposed of in the trash. However, debris must be collected as hazardous waste if it fall into one or more of the following categories: 

  • Grossly contaminated with a hazardous chemical (free liquids and solids)
  • Spill clean-up materials
  • Debris contaminated with P listed chemicals
  • Debris contaminated with over the regulated quantities of TCLP contaminants
  • Debris that is either grossly contaminated or falls into one of the above categories should collected separately from non-hazardous debris. Follow the Instructions for Hazardous Waste Disposal.

What do I do with Compressed Gas Cylinders and Aerosol Cans?
Return gas cylinders, whether empty or partially filled, to the manufacturer or distributor through which they were purchased. Aerosol cans, that are completely emptied of product and have been thoroughly depressurized, can be disposed of through regular trash pickup. Use up all of the gas in a cylinder or aerosol to render it completely empty if at all possible. Empty containers should be clearly marked as empty to avoid confusion when it comes to return or dispose of the cylinder/can. Do not vent full or partially used cylinders/cans into fume hoods as a means of disposal.

In the event it is not possible to return the cylinders as specified above or if you are unable to completely empty and depressurize, submit the cylinders or cans for waste pickup by EHS. Make sure the cylinders are clearly marked as to contents and valves are properly sealed and capped. Aerosol cans must be packed upright in a box and capped to prevent the release of contents. If the ingredients of the can are known, list them on the waste form with the respective percent composition. If it is a commercial product, list company name, location and any hazard information listed on the can.
What do I do with Used Printer Cartridges?
Used printer cartridges should be collected for recycling or returned to the manufacturer or distributor through which they were purchased. There are campus recycling collection sites at the Computer Store and Student Union.

Do we have to collect pipette tips as hazardous waste (this includes p-list waste)?
In accordance with the DEP pipette tips are considered a delivery device and are not considered a container. Empty pipette tips may be disposed in the trash. 


Hazardous Waste

Main Phone: 407-823-6300

3512 Perseus Loop
Bldg 48, Laboratory and Environmental Support
Orlando, FL 32816-3500

David BockEnvironmental Management