Initial Chemical Inventory
Submitting Your Initial Inventory
- Taking the inventory
- Use the following MS Excel template for your inventory: Chemical Inventory Form
- You can type your values directly into the file, save it, and email it to EH&S.
- Complete building name, room number, principal investigator, and date.
- If your lab wishes to use sub-locations, list the name of the sub-location. You can make as many sub-locations as your lab finds useful. At a minimum, we recommended designating flammable cabinets as sub-locations.
- Sub-location examples:
- Flammable cabinet 1
- Flammable cabinet 1, shelf 1
- Refrigerator 2
- Refrigerator 2, top shelf, box A
- Barcode #
- Your lab will be issued a supply of barcode labels to be placed on individual containers. The barcodes should be positioned in a manner to make re-inventory with a barcode scanner possible. Place the barcode in a vertical position on smaller containers. Do not cover safety or identification information on the existing label. Put the barcode number in the first column on the worksheet.
- DO INCLUDE:
- Request barcodes (please list your email contact, PI and lab location)
- Chemical Name
- List the chemical name exactly as it appears on the container label. What to inventory
DO NOT INCLUDE:
All chemicals and chemical products (except those listed at right). Examples are:
- Compressed gases (including liquefied gases)
- Flammable/ combustible liquids (e.g., alcohols, solvents, lubricants, paints)
- Flammable solids (e.g., magnesium, sodium, organo-metallics)
- Oxidizers (i.e., concentrated mineral acids, bromates, chlorates, permanganates)
- Organic peroxides (e.g., hydrogen peroxide (>8%), benzoyl peroxide)
- Poisons not included in the above categories, e.g.:
- biological toxins
- dyes, adhesives, etc.
- specimen solutions
- Corrosives (acids or bases which are corrosive to the skin and other materials having a pH of less than 5.5 or greater than 11.0)
- Controlled substances (DEA listed)
- Retail products used for routine household-like activities (e.g. cleansers, dish soap)
- Working/stock solutions to be used in a short time frame
- Radioactive materials
- Biohazardous materials
- Non-hazardous buffers
- Growth media
- Enzyme preparations
Vendor-list the supplier name from the container label
Product #- list the product number or catalog number, if available on label
CAS Code- list the Chemical Abstracts Service number, if available on label
Container Size- list the container size (500, 25, 4, etc.)
Unit of Measure- list the units (g, l, gal, kg, ml, cc, lbs,)
Amount Left- OPTIONAL, allows for more precise inventory tracking for lab purposes
Physical State- indicate whether gas, liquid, or solid
Density- list density for liquids and gases, if available on label
Submitting the Inventory
Make a copy of the inventory worksheets for your records. Contact EH&S (please list your lab number and email). At this time, EH&S will begin data entry of your inventory.
Accessing your Inventory
After data entry is complete, your PI will be assigned a username and password, and will be directed to EHSA.